History The Silk Mill House is now Redbourn Museum. It is all that remains of a steam driven silk mill, Woollams Mill, which occupied this site from 1857 to 1938. Here raw silk from cocoons was washed and “thrown” into a yarn suitable for weaving. The mill was demolished to make way for a Brooke Bond tea factory. The new factory was built on an extended site in 1960 but this closed in 1994, the site now covered by housing. Brooke Bond generously passed Silk Mill House on to Redbourn Parish Council for use as a museum. The museum opened in May 2000 and is managed by the Trustees of Redbourn Village Historical and Museum Group Ltd and is staffed entirely by volunteers.